If you are passionate about video games and eager to learn what goes behind making a video game, then it is necessary to go through the fundamentals of game development. The fundamentals shall pave the way for you to become a top-notch game developer or programmer. But first of all, it is necessary to have that zeal to get into the world of gaming and graphics and learn the basics.
What Is Game Development And Its Various Components?
The overall process of creating a video game is known as game development. The process includes components like characters, audio, designing, storytelling, etc. let’s understand the various components that are fundamentals of game development:
- Story- every video game has a story, and it should be interesting enough to hook the players.
- Characters- no story is complete without characters; may it be a chivalrous hero or a devilish villain.
- Audio- in video games, audio is the background score that sets the mood of the game.
- Art- art decides the feel of the game that includes texture, 3D modeling of objects and characters, game lighting, etc.
- Lighting- the artificial lights of the game intend to make it realistic and set the mood of the players.
- Levels- the various levels in-game make it even more interesting as the intensity after every level increases.
Start Learning The Game Development
The next step after understanding the components is to start developing the game. The points mentioned hereunder shall be sufficient to make you understand the fundamentals of game development.
- Learn computer programming- before starting the development of a game, it is necessary to learn a programming language. For games, developing C++ and Java are the most popular.
- Choose a known game engine- a known game engine provides 2D and 3D graphics, audio supports, artificial intelligence, etc. it is therefore advisable to start with a known game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Create a basic game- a basic game development like Tetris shall help in understanding the three basic game loops, i.e., initialize, update, and draw because they are the heart of any possible video game.
- Understand game design patterns- game design patterns are the templates for creating modular codes. These codes can be used as a solution for any problem in the development of the game.
- Learn 3D graphics and associated math- no game is complete without graphics that give a realistic feeling to the game. To become a top-notch game developer, it is essential to learn graphics and the math behind it.
If you enjoy playing video games, it is not necessary that you can be a game developer. Game developer is separately an entire course that requires passion and zeal for games and its artificial world. There are various games developer courses available online as well as offline. If you love gaming and reside in Pune you can go to Arena Animation Tilak Road for the best game development courses in Pune, where you will get expert support throughout the course to polish your game developing skills.